Interesting comments earlier about a new 160 tru 10 KX-1 replacement.  I'd
like to offer another alternative.

To do all the bands will add significant cost / size / weight.  I would
favor a modular approach with just the case and common circuitry/ controls
in the main enclosure and then room inside for a single pluggable module so
you could add the band of your choice for any occasion.   Kind of like the
pluggable coil assembly on the old National HRO 50 and HRO 60 receivers for
you fellow old codgers out there.  For most of my trips these days, I'd just
take 20 and 40 modules.  Later in the sunspot cycle, I could see myself
taking 20, 15 and 17 modules.  I usually only take one antenna each time
anyhow.  Extreme flexibility and only need to pay for and build the bands of
interest to you.   Similar to the approach taken in the K1 except need
faster and easier plugging of the modules w/o need for any tools, etc.

73    Craig   AC0DS