One of the characteristics I look for is response time / refresh time / time to read. It is much easier to make adjustments that depend on measured voltage or resistance if the meter quicks refreshes the readings. Some multimeters, especially some of the Flukes, are excellent in this regard. For example Fluke 170 series will detect open and short conditions as short as 250 micro seconds. It also has a loud beeper and I find it to be a great continuity checker.

Regards,
Raj, N2RD
K2 #5613

John Young wrote:

Paul
I think meters are like shirts - one size does NOT fit all. I have my 20 year old Fluke 73, several $2.99 Harbor Freight DMMs and some in between. Each fills a need. In the case of the Harbor Freight it is almost cheaper to buy a new meter than replace the 9v battery. When you blow up a cheap meter you can just pull out a spare and get back to work.

73 John
WA8KNE

Paul Neuman wrote:

I looking to purchase a decent DMM and would appreciate any recommendations of specific models. I've had two crappy Radio Shack DMMs blow up on me. Each time I bought one, I promised myself it was only until I could get something good ordered and then promptly put it off. Well now I'm DMM-less again and I'm in the middle of installing my 3080 option.

I'm looking through the Mouser catalog and there are so many choices. I guess I can't go wrong with a Fluke. Would like something for <$100 but I don't want to be buying one again in two months.

No HV or special requirements.  Thanks in advance.

Paul