Thanks to all who responded.
The archive provided a wealth of information on this well-known problem.
I spoke with Scott at Elecraft and he is sending me a nylon screw.
He told me that there had been a Builder's Alert on this problem in the
past, but he was also unable to find it on the web site. He told me it would
be reposted there, which I imagine will be of help to people with older
KX1's, especially second hand owners.

As always Elecraft shows that it's commitment to its customers is
unparalleled in the industry. Now where's the K3?

Paul N8NOV
Houston