On Aug 19, 2006, at 1:52 AM, Jeff wrote:

Should the pitch of the background atmospheric noise change when CW RV is
toggled on and off?

If you get it adjusted right, the pitch shouldn't change (or should change very little), however the "color" of the noise might shift a bit, depending on the bandwidth, due to a bit of asymmetry in the bandpass of the filter.

Also, I have the KSB2 installed, and the pitch of the atmospheric noise
changes greatly when I switch from USB to LSB or vice versa.

You don't have it adjusted right. The pitch should change very little, the color will change a bit because of the asymmetry of the filter, but if you get it adjusted correctly you'd hardly notice the shift.

Finally, and most irritatingly of all, in CW mode, when I switch from filter
FL1 to FL2, the pitch of the received CW signal changes significantly.
However, when I switch from FL2 to FL3, or from FL3 to FL4, no such pitch
change occurs, which is good.

The K2 design isn't perfect in this regard, because of the way the BFO frequencies are determined - but you should be able to get any shift down to a few Hz, if that.

It sounds to me like you don't quite have the filters aligned correctly.

I assume that I inadvertently changed the FL1 BFO setting.  However, I
subsequently tried various settings and couldn't get the pitch of the
received CW note for FL1 to match that of FL2.

Again, because of the quantization of the BFO frequency, you may not be able to get all the filters perfectly aligned on the same frequency. Close is good.

Shouldn't I be able to correct this problem by trial-and-error, without
using Spectrogram?

Yes, I've done this. Try moving a filter one step up or down from where Spectrogram thinks it should be. See if it makes things better or worse.

Unfortunately, I'm not set up to use Spectrogram to align the filters.

If you can't use Spectrogram, perhaps you can use another piece of software that supports and audio spectrum display. This is really the best way to align the K2 filters. (I personally use CocoaModem (a MacOS X RTTY / PSK application) to align my K2)

p.s. Here's a trivia question to which I'm curious to know the answer: Why is it that the KAT2's relays chatter pleasantly when you turn the K2 on, but
make not a peep when you turn it off?

Latching relays. They remember their last state and stay there even if no power is supplied.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901