Here is another simple explanation. Perhaps it is voltage drop on your power supply. You probably have the best match and most power output on the 40m band, Is your power supply up to it? A simple way to test this is to turn the power out down by 30W or so. Not enough db wise to make a difference if it is an rf interefence issue but will considerably reduce the demand on your power supply.

Raj, N2RD

On Sep 16, 2006, at 5:20 PM, Jonathan Taylor, K1RFD wrote:

In this case the antenna is a simple coax-fed 40M dipole with a balun at the feedpoint. Without the KAT100 in line the SWR is approx 1.2 to 1 at 7100 where the problem occurs.

A quick check shows that yes, the problem seems to occur only on 40m. I also noticed that other accessories on the same power supply re-set themselves when it happens, supporting the foldback limiting theory and the work-around that Tom posted and Mark pointed out. However, it happens only when the KAT100 is in line; I cannot reproduce it at any frequency or power level when the KAT100 is disabled.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Wilhelm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jonathan Taylor, K1RFD" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 16, 2006 4:47 PM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] KAT100: Strange K2/100 Behavior During Tune

If it is RF feedback, the proper way to deal with it is at the source - in
your antenna system.

An easy way to check it is to cut a quarterwave wire for each band that is troublesome - attach one end of the wires to the ground terminal on your tuner and the other end just stretches out and attaches to nothing excpet an insulator. There will be high RF Voltage on the open end of the wires, so keep them clear of human and pet contact and keep them far enough away from objects to prevent arc-overs (treat the far ends sort-of-like the end af an
antenna).

If these wires correct the problem, then you do have work to do on the antenna system. If they do not help, then you can look further for a K2/100
or KAT100 problem.

From your description, I would think something is causing a very high
current draw (even for a very short time) - your power supply may be going
into foldback limiting and the K2 powers off momentarily.  The other
possibility is that the resettable fuse in th ebase K2 is tripping and causing the power off condition (yes - it is powering off since you see the
ELECrAFt on the display).

Is this by any chance happening most frequently on 40 meters?

73,
Don W3FPR