-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Darrell Bellerive
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 6:08 PM
To: Elecraft List
Subject: [Elecraft] Hearing CW - Fundamental Keying Waveform?

The recent thread on filter settings and hearing reminded me of a
question I
would like to get an answer to.

In the ARRL 2001 Handbook on page 15.7 we find:
   "The dots and dashes of a CW signal must start and stop
abruptly enough so
we can clearly distinguish the carrier's presences and absences
from noise,
especially when fading prevails. The keying sidebands, which sound like
little more than thumps when listened to on their own, help our brains be
sure when the carrier tone starts and stops.
   It so happens that we always need to hear one or more harmonics of the
fundamental keying waveform for the code to sound sufficiently crisp."

What is meant by "the fundamental keying waveform"?

How do we take "the need to hear one or more harmonics of the fundamental
keying waveform" into account when setting up the IF and audio filters?

73,

Darrell  VA7TO  K2 #5093

--
Darrell Bellerive