Firstly, I want to state I do not imply that the RTTY bunch has run away
with 40 meters.  All in all, they have, along with the other digital modes,
pretty much stayed within the "sub band"/band plan "Gentlemen's
Agreement" for the appropriate emissions except for contest time when
almost everyone goes "bonkers".  Someone else took up my "flag" in
another post somewhere recently about weekenders who have no place
to make casual QSO's on "contest weekends".  More on that later.

I am glad someone is recognizing that separation of modes purely by
bandwidth, appears to have "merit" or is a "solution" to a potential
interference problem, is really not the answer.  Some digital modes
can compact a very large numbers of QSO's into a very narrow
space, while other do not.  PSK is an example of the cramming of
stations every 100-200Hz is viable.  If one PACTOR station comes on
in the 3-4 Khz most PSK stations operate it can cause havoc!  One strong
PACTOR or MFSK station can raise all sorts of hell in "PSK space"
or CW space.  This is greatly compounded by a few who totally ignore
any mode except the one they are using.  Thank goodness it isn't the
"norm"!  It does come across to "newbies" in amateur radio that this
practice is "OK" to some I'm sure, but should be discouraged.
Separation of digital and CW is essential if we are all going to live together
and have any harmony at all, or maintain communications instead
of "bedlam".  Further, we must also maintain separation of narrow band
digital modes (PSK for example) and wider digital modes (PACTOR and
wider modes).  Any "AUTOMATIC" or "ROBOT" internet access stations
should be limited to a very small chunk of spectrum, especially those
using proprietary systems.  In my humble opinion, HF access to
internet via Amateur Radio is opening up a very large "can of worms"
that will eventually come back to bite us in our posteriors!  There IS
a radio service for this via the MARISAT satellite system to do this for
you rich yachtsmen out there.  It should not be via Amateur Radio.

SSB/digital radiotelephony will continue to demand more spectrum space
in the future, no doubt, but room must be maintained for "older modes"
as well.  Especially for last ditch emergency and relief operations as
well as simple old fashioned "ragchewing".

In keeping with efforts to not "monopolize" spectrum space, a lot of
contests now specify a band of frequencies to be used during these
contests.  This allows some space for casual QSO's for those who do
not wish to operate a particular contest, but still would like to QSO
friends, etc.  On contest weekends.  This procedure is practically
impossible to maintain during the very large contests like CQ WWDX,
ARRL DX, Sweepstakes, etc.  It would be nice to have a very small
area (5 khz on CW or Digital bands, 10 khz on SSB/voice mode bands)
reserved for this purpose?  Something to think about when designing
a band plan.

We all will have to work at it to make smaller amounts of spectrum space
to all concerned.  Rest assured the FCC these days "doesn't give a damn"
about whatever QRM exists as long as it isn't interfering with another
"radio service" under their jurisdiction and we stay within our assigned
pieces of the spectrum.  If we do not plan well, none of us will be able
to pursue viable communications, especially in the HF spectrum as more
people join our ranks.

Just some thoughts for what they are worth, to keep our hobby alive and
well in the future.

73,

Sandy W5TVW