I just received the MFJ-1788 loop today, from AES.  The package looked okay
except for a small area where it sustained a hit from a blunt object, but
nothing that looked really bad.  I opened the package, and there was no
packing - the loop was suspended by two cardboard holders on each end - the
loop looked undamaged.  When I took it out, I could hear something rolling
around inside the plastic shroud, and then, a gear left in the box.  The
damage inside the plastic case was significant, and I give all this detail
to say, the box wasn't in bad shape, so the damage was surprising.

I had read that the 1788 is built very well - having looked inside, I
disagree.  Inside the widest area of the plastic shroud, is a massive
capacitor - but the plates rub.  The literature talks about the polished
capacitor plates - these look like oxidized aluminum.  The ends of the
capacitor are pc board.  Others have remarked that the shroud is somewhat,
well....cheap.  I agree.  It is a two-piece flexible plastic shroud, that is
held together with sheetmetal screws.  I think it needs something, such as
plastic tape to strengthen and seal it.

The main damage is from the motor drive for the capacitor - the motor and
gears are contained in a black plastic cylinder, about two inches in
diameter and about 2.5 inches long. This, I think, is the weak link - the
plastic is very thin, and the small motor is at the end of the cylinder,
away from the capacitor, i.e., the weight is on the extreme end of the
cylinder. One would not expect that there is not enough weight to shear-off
cylinder from the end of the capacitor if the unit were dropped, except that
the plastic is very thin, but that is what happended.  The drive gears are
very small, some metal and some plastic.  When the cylinder broke, it
severed a wire.  In that this antenna is made to use outside, I would think
it would be better built.  The loop itself is in two pieces, a bit easier to
build, I think, then a full circle, but it is very sturdy.

I'll report back, when I get a working one.  If anyone is interested in
pictures, my email is good on qrz.com.  Tom W6EIJ