I live in a restricted community and am thinking about putting a 20
meter dipole in the attic. I know most of the issues with doing this but
I don't know the effect the roofing material will have on my signal. The
roof is 1/2 in thick cement tiles. Has anyone had experience with this
setup?

Thanks,

Larry, KB5DXY
K1 #2269

---------------------------

Yep! Not all tiles are equal, so you may be better off. I moved several
times about 15 years ago, always living in an apartment. I managed to get a
top (second) floor apartment in each case and installed a doublet in the
attic in each case. It was hung just under the rafters.

In one apartment I noticed that I didn't get out very well, compared to my
previous QTH, but my antenna arrangement was very similar! On air testing is
just about useless to determine how well an antenna is working so I didn't
panic over it. But, over several months a suspicion grew.

One day I noticed walk near my building a piece of roofing tile that had
apparently dropped there while some repairs were being done. Curious, I took
it indoors. It was a hot summer day and the tile piece was quite dry. I put
it in my microwave oven (with a glass of water to avoid running it 'empty')
let it cook for a minute or two.

The roof tile was very hot! That's a sure sign it's pretty opaque to RF. Of
course, it's probably more opaque at microwave frequencies than at HF, but
it's still going to be lossy. If you can get a piece of tile, do the test
for yourself. You may be a lot better off than  I was.

I did a little research and found that those tile mixes often have a lot of
stuff not normally found in concrete and that the formulas vary
substantially from one supplier to another. That's about all I could dig up
on the subject. Let me say that I made a LOT of contacts from under those
tiles, using QRP on 40 and 20 meters, including substantial DX. That's the
problem with on-air testing. A punk poor antenna can sound *great* when the
band conditions are right. So if that's what you have to do to get on the
air, go for it.

Ron AC7AC