Hi

I have tested my controller with a VW panel and a 2.8 amp hour battery. This
setup WILL fully charge the battery and the controller will start cycling
with the panel in full sun, but if the battery is discharged it may take
several days to bring the battery up to full charge. The VW panels are very
low power about 3 watts at best or about 180 mA. It would require over 14
hours of full sun on the panel to charge a discharged 2.35 amp hour battery.
If the panel is not perpendicular to the sun the output will be lower and
would require even longer to charge the battery.

You may have a battery with a bad cell. You may want to try charging it with
a battery charger designed for gel cells or connect it to a power supply set
to 13.8-14.5 with a limiting resistor of about 5-10 ohms at 10 watts. If the
terminal voltage of the battery will not come up to 13.8 or higher the
battery is most likely bad.

You do not need a current limiting supply to test the controller. Any power
supply with an output of 15 to 25 volts will work in place of the solar
panel if you install a limiting resistor in series with the power supply of
about 5-10 ohms and about 5-10 watts.

If you have any variable power supply that can be adjusted from 13.0 to 14.2
volts you can follow the instructions supplied with my controller to check
the operation of the controller. The current required for this test is only
about 20 mA so any type of variable power supply should work.

If you still cannot get the controller to work send it back to me and I will
test it for proper operation and repair or replace it if required

Thanks

Don Brown
KD5NDB

19132 Falls Creek Drive