Richard,

The preamp does not have to exist for the display to indicate that it is ON.
The microprocessor controls the display indication.  You should be able to
tap the PRE/ATT button and switch from the attenuator to the preamp to OFF
for both.

Sounds like you solved your RF Probe problem just fine.  Normally the shield
would be connected to a piece of wire about 3 inches long - the coax center
conductor solders to into the cup (dimple) of the red banana plug and the
black banana plug is soldered to the wire connected to the coax braid.  At
least that is the way I do it.  I also use a bit of heat shrink at the
junction of the braid and the wire just to make things neat, but whichever
way you get the connections made, it should work FB.

73,
Don W3FPR