Scott -

Amateurs have been modifying and expereimenting with electronic components and
assembled radios since DeForest and Armstrong.

You obviously have not read the laundry list of modificaitons on MODS.DK

Just view MANY of these comments and suggestions -- as anything you see on TV
shows --- DIY, Pimp my Ride, Overhaulin, etc.  Why put a 2007 fuel injected
computer monitored crate motor in an old muscle car -- gee - maybe because it
is more relaible and fuel efficent than the original 1960s block?   Look at the
"Back to the Future" trilogy by Robert Zemeckis --- "Doc" Brown is constantly
adapting vehciles -- cars, locomotives.
In fact, if you look at the automobile industry - as an analogy -- the after
market customization is HUGE.

As with all of these -- some are for convinence -- others are innovative -- or
in Lyle's DSP board -- a great adaptation and anhancement -- not readily
avaialble when K2 first introduced.  That is the beaty of technology -- and
adaptation.

My area of "assistance" is with the soldering tools themselves -- making sure
that the builder has a quality "operational" tool for building -- and you can
go to BAMA and see the growing Weller doucmentaiton library for amatuers to DIY
repair their own tools (save $$, and learn something).

Greg
w9gb