-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Richard haendel
Sent: Sunday, November 19, 2006 7:57 AM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Power amplifier for K2

For those who don't want to wait for the Elecraft linear amplifiers,  here
is an option that I pursued.  I bought a Tokyo Hi-power amplifier the HL
1.2KFS that is rated at 750 watts output with typically 60 watts drive.  But
here is what I did, I asked Nobuki San, the chief engineer, to set up the
amplifier to work with the K2 at 10 watts drive. He did this and now I get
an easy 600 watts output. The amp uses 4 SD2933 power FET transistors. Since
the transistor gain at 30 MHz is typically 23 dB,  I knew that my little K2
could drive the amplifier nicely.  He also included a second  input
attenuator so I can restore it to normal configuration and a special K2
keying interface at no extra charge.   Nobuki San tested my amplifier using
a K2 showing 10 watts CW in and 600 watts CW out.( I have a picture)  The
build quality is excellent. The protection circuits are bullet proof. Since
each transistor is rated at 300 watts,  the parts are loafing at 600 watts
out. Operation is from 160 M through 10 M.  I had it shipped air express
direct from Japan and had it in 4 days at my house including the delay in
customs.  I believe the price will be comparable or better than the Elecraft
amplifiers especially since you don't need  KPA 100 amplifier in between the
K2 and the amplifier.    See  my review at e-ham net.

Just my $.02 worth
Rich W3ACO