Firstly thanks to everyone who answered my query, either on the Reflector or privately. I can confirm that everything that you all suggest should happen is happening. So from the RIT/XIT point there is no problem with my K2 and I was using it correctly. On rethinking this I wonder if I have another problem. I haven't had chance to do any further checks but since I had (successfully so I thought) re-aligned the K2 earlier in the day, I just wonder if I have the BFO in the wrong place, even though filters all sound good. I used Spectrogram.

Scenario 1 - Hear VQ9JC on 20m and want say hello/goodbye before he leaves there. He is working split, so switching RIT on & off, I find his rx freq and tap XIT. He completes a QSO so I call. No QSO. This happens several times including a policeman who says G3 Up. I sense something is wrong and stop calling. Jim has confirmed he heard me on his TX freq at a good strength but didn't want encourage a co-channel QSO. Fair enough but I was convinced I was transmitting split.

Scenario 2 - Was a bit apprehensive after Scenario 1 but decided to call NO2R in ARRL 160m contest. I know I can works States on 160. Had 19 Stateside Qs in the last hour of RSGB 160m Contest recently. Nothing, even pushing my amp hard. Most unusual. This was co-channel, no split.

Once is one thing but twice makes me feel there is a problem. RIT/XIT looks OK, so I think I need to do zero beat and BFO checks before I go much further.

Chris G3SJJ