To: <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2006 9:52 AM
Subject: [Elecraft] Static rain ?

I have recently been plagued by rain static on a new vertical antenna,
this is a 42 foot vertical fed at the base through an SG230 auto tuner,
and used on all bands. It seems I need a static bleed of some sort,  a
choke or resistor. What is the best component to use in an outdoor
environment?
My junk box RF chokes look rather puny for this application, the typical small 2.5mH RF choke.
Would a physically large,  say 1 Meg resistor be more suitable ?
I thought the auto ATU would in itself provide a static bleed path,
but apparently not.
Is the K2 prone to front end damage due to this static charge? I do not have the back to back diodes fitted (to prevent huge signal overload)

Any thoughts, how have you solved this?

73, Deni

F5VJC