I have just acquired a used K2 (includes noise blanker, SSB adapter,
internal tuner) which seems to work fine (hears well, and I have made some
4w SSB contacts across the Caribbean islands), except for two little issues:

first, the AF gain control, when turned fully anti-clockwise (7 o'clock
position), does not silence the rig, although the control does work in
reducing/increasing audio volume over the rest of its range.  Volume at the
minimum position is about where it would be if a normal rig were at the 9
o'clock position.  I pulled the knob off and tried the bare control: no
change.

second, if the RF gain control is turned or touched at all, the rig
immediately goes silent and all the bars in the bar-graph meter are
illuminated.  Over a period of about three seconds the bars are
extinguished, from right to left, and the sound comes back up.  The control
itself works in limiting RF gain normally, depending on the position to
which it is turned.

I have another K2 (no noise blanker, no internal tuner) which works entirely
normally, so I know this behaviour is unusual.

Just wondered whether anyone had any previous experience with these
phenomena.  My impression is that the rig worked normally in the past, but
may not have been used for the last couple of years.  Serial No. is 2086.  I
got it from the original owner; although it had not been built by him, but
by one of the for-hire builders.

Would replacing the pots help?

Grateful for any assistance.

Alan  8P9BM