-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Don Wilhelm
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 10:07 AM
To: Paul Del Negro; elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] K2 receive sensitivity

Paul,

I do not have 10 meter specific MDS measurements handy.  I can measure 2 K2s
sometime in th efuture if it is necessary, but it will be after I get the
workbench cleared.

If you have the equipment, measure the RX VFO injection level to the mixer
(TP1) - it should be +7 dBm for good mixer performance.  Assuming the mixer
presents a 50 ohm load to the VFO signal and your measurement does not
interfere with the loading, you should see a 500 mVrms voltage at the mixer
port or 1.416 volts peak to peak on a 'scope.  In-situ measurement is not
the best for this, substitution would be better, but you can draw some
conclusions based on the in-situ measurement if the input impedance to the
measuring device is high enough (you will be measuring in the 23 to 24 MHz
range, so be certain the instrument is capable of accurate readings at that
frequency (a 150 MHz 'scope with 150 MHz 10X probe should give good
measurements).

If the 10 meter VFO input is sufficient, you should be getting full benefit
from the mixer, and there is nothing short of reducing the losses in the
bandpass filters, T-R switch, and Low Pass Filter that will improve the MDS
on 10 meters.  If you find the mixer input level low, it can be adjusted by
changing the resistors on the U2 buffer, but check all bands so you don't
overdrive the mixer if you change the level.  If the VFO level changes
between bands, look for some frequency dependency in the VFO ALC circuit.

My reasoning: - beyond the mixer, the K2 response should be the same from
band to band, the only thing that will make changes on one band and not
others is between the antenna jack and the mixer.

73,
Don W3FPR

snip...