I was dutifully folowing the execllent-as-always
Elecraft instructions for this upgrade, when I came
upon a step that says to put the rig into "8r HOLD"
mode.

I really don't like that mode, due to the loud audio
clicks it causes in CW, as the transmitter shuts off.

"8r Normal" mode doesn't produce such clicks.  Nice
and smooth, although not quite the QSK I'd like,
perefctly acceptable.  T-R is set to 0.02 because
settings lower than that also produce audio artifacts.

Why is the "8r HOLD" mode specified?