Hello all...

I'm in the BFO Alignment stage of a K2, on P. 63, having been referred to P. 89. My problem is that, after I pushed the PRE/ATT button, I had little, intermittent, or no audio output from the headphones, and when anything did come through, it was a background hiss. That caused me to take a long look at the headphone jack, which revealed one connection that wasn't soldered - so I corrected that little problem. The next try, I got a solid, clear connection to hear a tone when I hit the PRE/ATT button again, but I was most disappointed when I followed the instructions on P. 88, and the tone disappeared with the CAL FIL options. At the bottom left of that page, there's a note about "hearing the 'shape' of the noise change with the VFO knob." I don't hear anything but a change in the background noise level, and it's a very slight change at that. Thus, my question - is this a normal set of circumstances, no tone that changes as I vary the VFO, or should I look for a sour crystal someplace, perhaps a transistor gone out or anything else that might be awry? I'm almost at the third stage of my build on this rig, and I'd appreciate some input about what's going on with the circuit, since some of the instructions in the manual text are a bit ambiguous.

  All suggestions will be appreciated.

73's
Gil WA5YKK