Don:

The material I used is Dow-Corning 748, identified as a "non corrosive" "food grade" product. If you find yourself in need of an electronics-compatible sealant, I can recommend it. I ordered the D-C 748 from McMaster-Carr, and here's how they describe it:

*748 Noncorrosive— *Use where low odor is desirable. Bonds to metal, plastic, glass, and rigid PVC. Resists moisture and weather and works with corrosion-sensitive electrical and electronic equipment. Begins to harden in 30 minutes. Temp. range is -67° to +350° F. Complies with FDA regulation 21 CFR 177.2600 covering indirect food contact. UL listed.

A 3 ounce tube is $7.48, so you will pay quite a bit more than the hardware store stuff, but it does exactly what you need in an electronic sealant. There are other D-C electronic sealants with different viscosity. The 748 is similar to standard RTV in viscosity and handling.

Jack K8ZOA
www.cliftonlaboratories.com

Don Wilhelm wrote:
Jack,
Thanks for the additional comments. The original post had specified the GE Silicone II adhesive that he had on hand. In my experience that is not a 'properly selected silicon compound'. The last tube I had of that I started to use on some terminals on an aluminum vertical - well I had a copper wire attached, and it turned a sickly green within two weeks. I had to scrape it all off (a tough job), use new hardware and wire. I vowed never to use any that was not specifically marked as 'electronic grade'. 73,
Don W3FPR