Gary,

Is there a possibility that you have the BFO set to the wrong sideband?
The BFO frequency for LSB should be somewhere close to 4913.7 kHz and the
USB should be near 4916.3 kHz.

The best way to set the filter passband accurately (and to evaluate the
filter width as well) is to use Spectrogram.  There are instuctions at the
Elecraft website and the article dealing with K2 dial Calibration on my
website http://w3fpr.qrpradio.com also has information on using Spectrogram.
You can get version 5.17 (the last freeware version) at www.n0ss.net .

73,
Don W3FPR