Hi Jesse,

Fortunately this hasn't been a problem for us. While I think it has been overblown as an issue we certainly are paying attention to it. For all our kits you should still be soldering with regular lead based solder, which eliminates any potential problems with with whiskers even when it is used on lead free tinned component leads. The lead in the solder dominates the connection.

For lead free soldered connections on pre-built boards we see no real problem with most widely spaced components on the IC's we currently use. Most of the discussion has centered on very fine pitch surface mount parts. If we use any fine pitch surface mount parts on future lead-free boards we will try to insure that the type of lead free solder used will not cause this type of problem. (The industry is currently addressing this issue with commercial solders used in manufacturing.) Also, as a back up, we can conformally coat the connections on any fine pitch parts with a non-conducting coating that will prevent these issues.

73, Eric

Jesse Justiss wrote:
How does lead free affect long term reliability?
An article I read some months ago pointed out the
problems of whiskers growing inside the components
without lead.