Darrell Bellerive wrote:

I played a bit with this mod this evening. I can duplicate the results, but
I'd like to understand a bit more about this circuit.

What is the purpose of RP5 pins 7/8 and pins 9/10? This grounds the audio signal via 940 ohms of resistance. Is this just to provide a DC bias for the
electrolytic capacitors or does it have a role to play with the audio?

Hi Darrell,

There's some subtlety to this circuit. Among the various goals was to minimize component count.

C32, on pin 8 of U9, is the AF amp's supply decoupling capacitor. It would normally be returned to ground, as shown in any LM380 datasheet. However, we played a trick here, using pin 8 as the sidetone injection point. In other words, we're treating pin 8 as a low-gain, single-ended third input to the amplifier.

But C32 still needs a ground return path so it can perform its supply decoupling function reasonably well. L1, which is part of the sidetone shaping circuit, serves the ground-return function at low audio frequencies, but as F increases, the Z of the inductor does, too.

This is where RP5 comes in. We had a couple of RP5 sections left over, so we put them in series to form about a 1K resistor that establishes a minimum ground-return impedance, ensuring stability of the AF amp's internal biasing. Of course this resistor also reduces the Q of L1, but not enough to impact its shaping function.

We could have injected the sidetone at the amplifier's differential inputs, but doing this right (without AF artifacts) requires differential drive, e.g. more parts.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---