On 7 Apr 2007 at 4:03, W1TF wrote:

> 7040 KHz is one place for me to find new states or rag
> chews. Have noticed racket there sometimes. Tuned
> across the band and found this racket about every
> 10.66 KHz across all I can tune of 40 M (6998 - 7084)
> with my K1. 7040.6 KHz is the center of one signal.
> Seems to be about 1 KHz wide. Not there all the time.
> I do not hear it on 30 M.
> Does anyone know where this comes from and what it
> might be for and how often it is on?
> I always turn of my computer when using the radio to
> keep local noise down.

In Europe and elsewhere 7040kHz is the centre of rtty and data
activity so I assume that is what you are hearing. That is why there
is a move in the USA to move the QRP frequency from there to 7030, in
the region 1 CW slot. Don't be surprised if you hear data noises on
7035-7045....

Actually if you are getting signals every 10.66kHz this sounds more
like a switch mode power supply near to you (or even the one you use
to power your rig...). Or line timebase oscillators of local TVs (but
that should be around 15kHz).

73 Dave G3YMC

http://www.davesergeant.com