On the topic of comparing radios...

I've found that one must be careful on how the comparison is done.
You'll get a far better reading if you can hold everything constant
except for the rig under test.

I'll feed a single antenna to both rigs through an antenna switch
(maybe) and then send the audio output from each rig to my mixing board
which in turn feeds my headphones.  I can exactly balance the audio
level from each rig using the mixer and I'm listening through the same
headphones.

With such a setup, switching from one rig to another is as simple as
turning two pots on the mixer (or maybe hitting a mute button).  True
differences (and similarities) between rigs become immediately apparent
in a way that just doesn't happen otherwise.

And be sure to do both short term and long term listening.  Quickly
switching from one to another can show you things.  So, too can
switching after listening to one for a while.

- Keith N1AS -
- K2 5411.ssb.100 -