On Mon, 7 May 2007, Brian Lloyd wrote:

I think you mean that many no longer use RS-232 serial. I agree with you that RS-232 no longer makes a lot of sense.

Yes, another famous TLC typo (g).

If I can't a converter to work, I'll get a card and waste a slot....

First thing to do is go to Dell and upgrade the drivers for your USB port/hub in your computer.

The auto updates are on...the Dell Dwarfs stay up 24/7 just to update my machine.

You also might consider using a bootable CD with Linux on it to see if their drivers will work properly with your hardware.

You've lost me...test Linux drivers to see if there is a problem with Windows drivers???? or with the hardware???

With the world using USB, I am amazed that people don't include a USB interface.

If Elecraft opted for having their own USB device then they would have to provide drivers for Windows, something I would not want to do if I were them as it would raise their tech-support requirement. By doing what they have done they have pushed the USB/converter/driver problem to someone else. That makes a lot of sense to me.

But from a customer standpoint, it makes no sense whatsover. Putting it another way....If I am faced with replacing an expensive computer system to interface with a $2000 plus device, I would be upset at having bought the device...and if I hadn't already purchased it, I would pass on the whole thing.

OTOH I am strongly of the opinion that USB is still too low-level and hardware dependent. Ethernet makes a lot more sense as just about every computer made today has ethernet and supports TCP/IP networking. It would open up many more applications than would USB and certainly a lot more than RS-232. Many hams have either a cable or a DSL connection to the Internet. That implies that they have ethernet running already.

But many hams have very old computers....and so that would knock them out of the box. From my perspective Elecraft would need to have a USB interface(Not an adapter), and a serial interface. Your concept of Ethernet is interesting, but could be not only a challenge to some, but an impossibility for folks with older units.

After all, I could use my old Osborne to control the K3....the K3 would fit on top of the luggable.

73,Thom-k3hrn
www.zerobeat.net Home of QRP Web Ring, Drakelist home page,Drake Web Ring,
QRP IRC channel, Drake IRC Channel, Elecraft Owners Database
www.tlchost.net/hosting/  ***  Web Hosting as low as 3.49/month