Hi Ken,

The short answer is "both".

The 1st I.F. noise blanker module is ahead of the roofing filters, so it can blank wideband pulse noise. It has a wide AGC range and various threshold and blanking width settings.

There's also a DSP noise blanker *after* the roofing filters. This blanker has the advantage of not being modulated by signals outside the roofing filter bandwidth. Of course you can't use it in all cases, because the roofing filter stretches the pulses and thus requires longer blanking times. But I have some noise on 160 m that the DSP blanker suppresses by some 40 dB, making otherwise completely inaudible signals stand out clearly. We're also experimenting with reconstructive blanking algorithms to make the DSP blanker even more effective.

The noise blanker LEVEL switch displays the parameters for both the hardware blanker and the DSP blanker on the VFO A and VFO B displays. You can then adjust either or both to see which is most effective on noise. The settings are stored on a per-band basis.

73,
Wayne
N6KR