Bob,

There is nothing unique to 40 meters in the KAT100, *but*.

Behavior like that *could* be related to a parasitic oscillation in the KPA100. The parasitic usually revealed itself during a TUNE operation with the KAT100 also installed.

The KPA100 T/R switch was re-designed to address that very problem. If your KPA100 was ordered before last December, it has the old T/R switch in it, and can have the parasitic problem on 40.

I suggest you promptly obtain the KPA100UPKT and install it in your KPA100.

73,
Don W3FPR

Solosko, Robert B (Bob) wrote:
Hello All,

        I hope that someone can suggest where to start tracing down a
rather strange tuning problem that cropped up in the middle of working
the IARU on Saturday. The short description is that the K2/100-KAT100
stopped tuning in AUTO mode when in high power mode on 40 meters. Here's
some of the details:

1 - Tuning with the K2/100 and KAT100 on 40 meters has worked fine since
I completed the KPA100 (rev. D) 6 months ago.

2 - I had no problems tuning for about the first 10 QSOs on 40m, and
then the rig suddenly wouldn't tune at all when in high power mode
(there were no lightening strikes during that time) - then tuning became
erratic.

3 - Tuning worked fine when the power was reduced to low power mode: all
I had to do was reduce the power just to the point where the power LEDs
on the KAT100 switched from high power to low power and everything
worked fine - then increasing the power just to the point where the
power LEDs on the KAT1200 switched from low power to high power and the
KAT100 wouldn't tune at all.