Tom:

Interesting insight about No 10 wire made up of very fine strands. The failure more that your local friend has run into with No 10 is exactly the failure mode that I've run into as well.

Caution to all list members, as Tom also points out: DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON THE WEST MOUNTAIN PLIER CRIMPER.

73,

Steve
AA4AK

Success at larger gauges may depend somewhat upon the gauge of the stranding. The stuff I used was quite flexible and utilized MANY strands of probably #26 or finer
gauge wire.

A local who also has the West Mountain ratchet-type crimper has one of the dies
in the crimp head fracture when he was trying to crimp (I think) some #10 wire
which was made from much larger gauge wires.

I've had no problems with smaller gauges of wire either.

I've had LITTLE(!!!) success using the 'plier' style of crimpers at ANY gauge!

73,

Tom Hammond   N0SS