"...my skill set has bever been up to the micro  - surgery required to build
circuits inside a
connector shell"

No need to worry, it's simple. One  TO92 (not micro sized) and two 1/8W
resistor (not micro
sized) tacked across some connector pins. Easy, and takes about 10 min.

I agree with Don...keying interfaces are "consumables" either by nature of
changing technology,
or  hamshack accidents. Much better to have them outside the radio, where it
costs less than
$0.50  to replace the whole thing should that become necessary.

John K5MO