Marty,

First of all, I believe .031 solder is too large a diameter for use on Elecraft products, especially the KX1. I use .015 with great success, and I do not recommend a larger solder than .020 for the KX1.

The reason is that with the large diameter solder, there is not great control over the amount of solder applied - by the time the solder is molten, there is already too much on the connection. Just enough solder to fill the plated thru hole is adequate, although I like to see a very small fillet of solder with the edges of the solder tapering down to zero thickness on both the solder pad and the component lead to be certain everything has received adequate heat during the soldering process. See the soldering tutorial on the Elecraft website if you have any questions about what I am describing.

Also, the 44 flux is a highly activated flux, there also seems to be a lot of flux residue when using it for soldering. The Kester 285 mildly activated flux is much better on untarnished components because it leaves the board cleaner - save the highly activated solder for working with components that have acquired a bit of corrosion and need the higher activity.

OK, so you have some Kester 44 .031 solder that you would like to use on your KX1 - fine, use it, but be aware of the cautions about the amount of solder. If you find too much is applied, use solder wick to remove some of it. OTOH, If you are buying solder for the KX1, I recommend the Kester 285 in a .015 diameter (Multi-core is a great solder, but may be difficult to obtain). Many areas of the KX1 are quite dense with components and more care with soldering is required than for most of the other Elecraft kits.

That does not answer the question of why Elecraft does not include solder with the kits like Heathkit used to do - I can't answer that, but I can offer some cautions based on my experiences repairing the KX1 - some builders have trouble because of inadequate heat when soldering (700 to 750 deg F is the best) and the application of too much solder are often encountered problems here. I have 'fixed' several KX1s by simply removing the excess solder and reheating the connections - that process takes about 2 hours to complete, so you figure the cost of a 'repair' caused by sloppy soldering - good solder is cheap by comparison.

73,
Don W3FPR

Marty Young wrote:
Hello All:

I ordered a KX1 and it was shipped Priority Mail on
7/23 and have not received it yet.  Danged post
office!  In doing my preliminary research and
preparation I have a question:

Soldering is important, I think we all agree.  The
selection of the correct type and size is critical to
success.  Why isn't a hank of 0.31 dia Kester "44"
included with the kit?