Brett,

The KX1 is speced up to 14 volts, so you are a bit on the high side. You could use a couple diodes in series with the batteries to drop the voltage level if you can fit everything inside the case.

I will go out on a limb (and Wayne might correct me too <G>) and say that the most susceptable part to increased supply voltage is the Zener diode in the PA collector circuit. That diode is there to protect the PA transistor from high levels of peak RF voltage that can result with a high SWR - so you may get away with the higher supply voltage if you keep the power down closer to 3 watts (adjust R4 for lower output) rather than trying to push for 4 watts or more.

73,
Don W3FPR

Brett gazdzinski wrote:
Just a quick question, my cell phone uses
a lithium Ion battery that is 3.7 volts at
1100mAh, four would do 14.8 volts and would be much smaller
than AA batteries. I think you could actually fit
6 in the space of 6 AA batteries.

Is 14.8 volts to much for a KX1?

Brett
N2DTS