On Wed, 8 Aug 2007, Vic K2VCO wrote:

Thom LaCosta wrote:

And then when the driver doesn't install correctly, they will be asked to help, even if the problem is caused by some kind of resource conflict, spyware, or whatever.

And they won't when it happens with the adpater they supply?

This is possibly an argument for them *not* supplying an adapter and letting it be the user's responsibility.

Reselling an adapter is a courtesy -- they've tested it, they know it talks to the radio. The driver is the adapter manufacturer's responsibility. But if this seems likely to lead to bad feelings or finger pointing, then they should leave it up to the user to get an adapter if needed.

Hard for me to accept they would simply sell it as a courtesy....by selling it, they are implying it works. I wouldn't do that, unless I had run a test with a specific computer and specific OS.

I think it's a matter of Elecraft realizing that newer computers may not have a serial port. I suspect their tests of the adpater lead them to the conclusion that it would work in a high enough per centage of the times that they could offer it.

I don't think any of can really say that they will and won't do, could and should do, etc.

I think they were between a rock and a hard place ... they produce a radio that uses a computer interface that is not readily available on most new computers.

73 k3hrn
Thom,EIEIO
Email, Internet, Electronic Information Officer

www.baltimorehon.com/                    Home of the Baltimore Lexicon
www.tlchost.net/hosting/                 Web Hosting as low as 3.49/month