Whatever Elecraft's data comms interface is for
the K3 - I hope they are not relying on our using
some item like a "Tiger Direct" USB-to-Serial
cable converter.  I have one here on my
desk, that couldn't be made to work with
Kenwood's TH-F6A HT and Kenwood's freebee
software program.

Unfortunately, here in summer place - all I have
is a very modern WiFi Compaq high-end PC with lots
of USB ports and hubs - and NO RS-232C Serial
port at all.  My printer is USB. My mouse is USB.

I just don't understand why RS-232C and that
god awful plug, lives on?  I wrote Z-80 program
for TTY RS-232C data comms product for Exxon's
"QYX The Intelligent Typewriter" and "QTTY"
was a success for 1 year, before IBM came out
with their first DOS PC in 81.

As arcaic as RS-232C is, there are certain standards
that the  interface is supposed to obey, and that
the software applications are supposed to
comply with. Both drivers, and applications. Trying to
get this to work reliably over a USB-to-Serial cable
device bridge - may not be the most sure way
to do it.

In discussing it with Kenwood's Calif. Customer
Support center - they indicated that they had
found that some cable USB-to-Serial converters
actually used wrong wire connections on some
of the RS-232C plug pinouts.

I guess perhaps I'll just shy away - from using
any data comms on the K3, until someone smarter
in this stuff than I - can work it out.  Which
I'm sure in the end, they may do.  Alas .....
we lost a USB opportunity in ham radio.

Fred, N3CSY