This will be my last post on the ESSB subject ... the
thread -IS- pretty far off-topic. (:-))

My association with "ESSB" came during five years and a
million miles of over-the-road-truck driving with an HF rig in
the truck that I used to pass the time.  I spent MANY hours
observing the group on 14178.  Signals as wide as 15 kHz
were the norm.

Should anyone suggest that my receiver(s) were to blame,
I often used my FT-1000D with a full compliment of filters as a "measurement" receiver. A friend at the NBS used an HP spectrum analyzer to make the same observations.

In reading NU9N's discussion of ESSB he repeatedly says
he's "never" heard a station transmitting an excessive bandwidth
signal. Saying something doesn't make it so .... He was one of the 14178 kHz "widebanders" who received formal "cautionary" letters from the FCC when they saw the need to step in and attempt to limit the ever-widening spectrum occupancy. I'd like
to think that my several letters of complaint to the FCC were a
factor in their actions.

As another poster has indicated, ESSB -IS- unpopular and offensive to a large number of us.

Ken Kopp - K0PP
[EMAIL PROTECTED]