In a message dated 8/29/07 11:40:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Yes, but you are basing this on your "assumptions".  Your math may be
> correct
> but, you are setting up the conditions of the problem which may or may not
> be
> accurate.

I think my assumptions are pretty accurate. If anything, they err on the high
side.

Here they are in a nutshell:

Typical power requirement of a device on standby: 5 W
Typical number of such devices in a household: 20
Typical duty cycle of such devices: 760 hours per year of use, 8000 hours
standby.

The rest is calculation.

How much does a kilowatt hour of electricity cost? 13 cents here in EPA. 25
cents in HB9.

How much do *you* pay?

> The word collectively was used.

Not by me.

So, let's say your assumptions are correct.

> Multiply that by millions of households.  That seems to be quite a bit to
> me.

Of course. But consider it as a percentage of your total use.

> I don't really enjoy just giving my money to the local utilities.  I'd
> rather
> spend $104 on ham radio toys. ;-)

Me too.

73 de Jim, N2EY