Henning:

I would not install the internal battery option. It requires that you install a smaller speaker and there is always the danger of the batteries leaking and damaging the board in the K1. It is very easy to make up a small battery pack and a short cable to connect it to the radio. Additionally you have to remove the batteries to charge them if you use ni-cads. I use a small 12volt 2.2 amp gel cell which will operate the K1 for most of a weekend. One other thing is that the option provides for only eight AA cells and they will only produce 12.0Volts at maximum voltage when using standard AA, only 10.8 Volts when using nic-cads, and the Gel Cell will provide about 13.8 Volts at maximum. The output power of the K1 is directly proportional to the input voltage supply. I installed the internal battery in my K2 and later removed it because of the danger of the leaking battery and the fact that it made the K2 much heavier.

I would not install the extended coverage in the VFO because the tuning becomes very touchy. One rotation of the knob causes a much greater change in frequency. In the 80KHz setting you have about 8KHz per revolution of the tuning knob and in the 180KHz setting it is 18KHz per revolution.

I love the backlight option and highly recommend it to you. It is very easy to install and makes the K1 much nicer when operating at night.

Please understand these are my personal observations and preferences. You may have other reasons for making the changes.

Jim Younce K4ZM
K2  SN:18
K2 Field Tester