After this weekend's hamfest I was reading my new ARRL 2007 handbook to see
what might be NEW in ARRL testing of receivers, I came across this sentence
that I thought pretty well summed up my experience with my K2 receiver.

On page 10.7 3rd column  "When using a good receiver with a linear front end
and a clean LO, amateurs accustomed to receivers with poor phase-noise
performance report the impression of a seemingly emptier band with gaps
between signals -- and then they begin to find readable signals in some of
the gaps.

This whole section in the handbook reveals the "science" behind the efforts
engineers put into receiver design and why phase noise is so important for
both the receive and transmit performance.

Dick
WB7OND
"hanging around for shipment 2"