> I hrd rumor that the Elecraft guys started with their idea of an ideal
> package size and worked all the rest of the rig into that predetermined
> idea.  Sorry, but backward thinking....  design the features and then
> size the package to fit the features.... the cart and horse strikes
> again.

This is only true if package size isn't a priority. If it is, then it's a
feature that, as you say, has to be designed-in before other less important
considerations are implemented.

Whatever your priorities are in design should determine what else you can
do, and how you should do it. Elecraft values effortless portability over a
completely simple (one control per function) user interface. That may not
match your priorities. They could just as easily say that you're thinking
backwards because you could end up with a rig that is too big to be easily
portable.

So the issue isn't backwards thinking, it's different design priorities.

I have limited space and relatively frequent transportation of the radio. So
it works for me.

Craig
NZ0R