I've built smt and large component kits and agree the smt, of the larger size at least, is doable with adequate vision and coordination and magnification after learning the smt technique for soldering and handling parts.

Nonetheless I prefer larger and more dials rather than cryptically labeled buttons on tiny radio devices. This is due to my habit of using a radio and then going on to something else and when I return I have to learn to use it again (in part)...

I am also concerned how many small radios are not intuitive regarding their menus and without the manual one can be stuck.

I don't know that a lot of people would want to build an advanced radio using all smt.

None of this is in reference to Elecraft...love my K1

Bob
N5JYW