I would add the IC-701 to that list. Icom's first HF transceiver, it
was similar in size and looks to its VHF base tranceiver the IC-211
and there was nothing else quite like it at the time.

There was a US-made radio, Atlas I think its name was, which was quite
small and had a ring mixer front end that apparently made it quite
bomb proof by the standards of the day. That was quite a milestone in
design - perhaps the K3 of its day.

You could add the FT-101 which was probably the most popular HF SSB
transceiver of its day and the first SSB transceiver for a lot of
people.

I still don't see why the IC-706 belongs on such a list at all, but
the trouble with all such lists is that they are subjective and
influenced greatly by the radios the lister has owned (or lusted
after.)

--
Julian, G4ILO K2 s/n: 392  K3 s/n: ???
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com