OK folks - no one has chastised me for it yet, but I obviously do not know morse code!! P is not .._ _ .., but ._ _ . I don't know where that particular code thought came from, but the principle remains the same, so I hope my example is more accurate than the code translation.

73,
Don W3FPR

Don Wilhelm wrote:
Doug and all,

For me, the number of finger movements is not relevant, it is the timing and coordination that I have the most trouble with. Iambic A with a single lever paddle helps a lot, but good ones are either difficult to find or more expensive than suits my taste. I can handle Ultimatic with a dual lever paddle.

My problem with iambic is twofold - I learned a bad habit with a bug that I just can't seem to shake completely - I sometimes depend on my thumb to 'push-off' my index finger and vice versa - leads to bad characters for me. Secondly, I had an injury to my arm that left me with more limited muscle control of my fingers. Yes, it is a problem with keyboard operation too.

So, I use a K1EL keyer which does include Ultimatic, but it certainly would be nice if the Elecraft rigs incorporated Ultimatic natively.

For those who do not know what Ultimatic keying is - there are no alternating dots and dashes. With both levers closed, the last one closed takes control and will send a string of dashes followed by dots if the dash lever had been closed and then the dot lever is also closed (works the other way around too). Think about the letter P - close the dot lever, and after the first dot has started, close the dash lever and hold it until the second dash has started and release the dash lever - continue holding the dot lever until the second of the two dots has started. Insertion of a single dot is even easier.