N6VL:

>I bought an 18 AH gel cell for my K2 after the power went out last week.
Today I bought a charger from HRO that charges up to 750 mA, which will take
forever with an 18 AH battery. I've been told I can charge the battery with
my regulated power supply if I am careful to not overcharge it. How do I
know when it is close to fully charged? I plan to use the smaller charger to
keep the battery trickle charged with the lower current charger. I simply
want to get the battery charged faster.

        If it's truly a gel cell (and not sealed lead acid), you
need to be careful not to charge it too quickly.  750 mA will
charge 18 AH in 24 hours so that's hardly "forever".

        See http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_chargers.html

                                73,  Bill  W4ZV