I have used a large, shallow aluminium tray similar to the cooker tray mentioned and I place all components in the tray still within their a/s bags. With my hands in the tray and the external connections to soldering iron etc thro wrist strap etc, this is my defence against ESdischarge. Everything at one potential is the secret.

David
G3UNA

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Tippett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2007 9:26 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] Looking for static dissipative bench pad

WB2SRF:

>Using a conductor for a ESD ground pad is not a good idea.

>Besides the obvious short circuit or electric shock hazard that could
occur.

>I learned from taking ESD courses at Lucent Technology  and Motorola
where I was employed. that  slow gradient discharge of the static
electric buildup is required otherwise a high peak current can destroy
semiconductors. That is why it is called  (ESD) electrostatic dissipative

        Which is why the 1M series resistor is inserted
between the foil and ground.  I like a dead short between
my body and the foil (to absolutely eliminate any potential
difference) and then 1M from the foil to ground for the
reasons you stated above.  I usually even touch one hand
to the foil before touching extremely ESD sensitive devices
just in case my wrist strap is faulty!  I never apply power
to anything (except my ESD-safe soldering iron) when I work
on the surface to prevent shorts or shocks.  I've burned my
fingers many times but haven't killed myself (yet).  :-)
I've also never zapped any semiconductors in several SMD
projects, although I've found less exotic ways to destroy
parts, such as mounting them in the wrong place!

        As I said before, you can certainly spend more but
IMHO it's unnecessary.  I use the $35 CSI clone of the
Hakko 936 for the same reason.  I would rather spend my
money on other things, but that's an individual choice.

                                73,  Bill  W4ZV