Coupling can still approach unity with an air core coil at RF frequencies.
Iron is only needed at lower frequencies to accomplish the same thing (or
close to it).

One practical reason to short out unused turns is that if they are left
unshorted the coil can then become an auto-transformer. If only a small
number of turns are active and the rest are left unshorted it steps up the
voltage according to the square of the turns ratio. That can lead to huge RF
voltages at the open end of the unused section.

I've never done Q measurements with the unused turns open or shorted, so I
was curious about any responses myself. I've always shorted the turns for
the above reason.

Ron AC7AC