FYI:

http://www.k8ra.com/

Dick, NJ9K

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Joe Hetrick
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:08
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] RE: CW: Best low cost iambic key

Rob; Define "low cost"

        The used Begalis go for about what a new.  Used Benchers are fairly
easy to find in various states of dis-repair.  There are also the
AzSqrpions paddle-kits that seem to have a solid look, I've been
meaning to order one as a spare/travel paddle.

        If you don't mind fabrication and a lighter feel (though, since
you're building it, you can tweak this) you could try one of the
10.00 Jackson Harbor touch paddles.  Even though I have a Begali, and
a Bencher, I've actually probably put more QSO's on my little JH
Touch paddles since I spent a good part of the summer operating
outside of my shack.  They take a bit of getting used to, but, I
built mine into a little box and used dimes for the contacts.  I can
hold the key in my lap and send.  At times it's very comfortable.

    I've a used bencher that I enjoyed, but, while I don't have a
heavy fist, I like a solid feel.  I bought a Begali Simplex at
Dayton;  New they're within 10 or 20.00 of a new Bencher, but, I like
my Begali a whole lot, and I've loaned it out to several local CW ops
who have also enjoyed it.

    I'm pretty sure I'll end up with one of the magnetic units from
Begali this year at Dayton.  The craftsmanship is beautiful and the
keys all feel great.

There are several others, N3ZN, there is an K8 whose call I forget,
all look to be substantial and they all seem to fall in the
100-200.00 price range.

73,

Joe KC0VKN