> >> Believe I read that the DSP will make up for any loss
> caused by the 8
> >> pole CW filter.
> -------------------
> > When installing a crystal roofing filter in the K3, you
> enter a gain
> > compensation amount in dB.  The compensation is done by the
> DSP when
> > that filter is in use.
> -------------------
> Wait a minute.  Does the act of putting in a specific filter
> tell DSP what compensation to do OR must we dumb operators
> try to guess at what compensation number to enter?  And how
> would that number be entered?

This is covered fully in the K3 User Manual, available on the Elecraft web
site.  Refer to the crystal filter configuration section where it gives
detailed instructions for adding a specific gain compensation value for any
individual filter via the CONFIG menu.  No gain compensation is needed
except for the narrow filters, e.g., 400 Hz and 250 Hz.  I use +2 dB and +3
dB respectively on those filters.  I think the manual suggests 2-4 dB in
general for the narrow 8-pole filters.  Just set the compensation so there
is no change in level as you switch through the wide and narrow filters.

73,
Ed - W0YK