From: "Wolfgang, Larry, WR1B" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 2:21 PM
Subject: [Elecraft] K2 and the CW SS

There were several interesting posts about operating in the Sweepstakes
contest this past weekend. Like many of those who commented, I consider
myself a "casual contester." It's been a number of years since I put in
as much time at SS as I did this weekend. I usually need some "help" to
copy the 30+ wpm contest exchanges. I often spend several minutes trying
to copy a station's exchange before sending my call in answer to their
CQs.

This year I tried a few different ideas. In the past I've sometimes used
a program called "CW Get" to copy the CW. With a cable from the speaker
output to the soundcard input, this program does a good job of copying
the perfect machine sent code, and even does a reasonable job on the
good CW from a keyer and paddle. I also downloaded a logging program
(N1MM Logger) on Saturday morning and installed that on my computer.
After "a bit" of time trying to learn how to use the logger, I had it
mostly configured, and even talking to my K2. This was pretty neat! I
positioned various logger windows around my display so I could also see
the copy window on CW Get. Maybe a similar arrangement would be helpful
to others who like to "Search and Pounce." I even ventured to answer
quite a few stations that were calling CQ before I copied their
exchange.

I also noticed something that surprised me quite a bit. I narrowed my K2
filters to 400 and 200 Hz. Most of the time I just tuned up the band,
one station at a time, and seldom had interference from another station
to contend with. (No, that didn't surprise me!) What did surprise me was
the number of stations answering a CQ "way" off frequency. I'd barely
hear them over the speaker, and would see a "spike" on the CW Get
frequency display that was 100 Hz or more off the CQing station. Maybe
it was just the heat of the competition, but I thought most CW operators
would be better able to tune to zero beat. It would be interesting to
know what rigs the other operators were using. I wonder if many of those
who were tuned to zero beat were Elecrafters.

73, Larry Wolfgang, WR1B