-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Don Rasmussen
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2007 8:55 PM
To: Elecraft List
Subject: [Elecraft] Filter Selection

Here is a question for anyone having a K3.

You are listening to a CW note on 40 meters at night
with moderate static, maybe S7 is the resting point.

Copying a signal using the standard roofing filter and
the DSP narrowed down to 500hz.

Now you open up the passband on the DSP to 2.7 khz and
activate a 500hz crystal filter.

First - can you do that?

Second - if you can, how much different does it sound?
I'd expect more pleasant listening experience in the
former scenario...

[Elecraft] Filter Selection
K4IA at aol.com K4IA at aol.com
Fri Nov 16 21:32:28 EST 2007

Wondering if a consensus was developing about  the
choice of roofing filters.
 Seems like there a too many to choose from.  Lacking
detailed plots for each
one, I can't believe there is that much  difference
between say a 500hz 5
pole and a 400hz 8 pole or a 200 hz 5 pole vs a  250
hz 8 pole.  Sure the 5 poles
will have wider skirts but will you be  able to hear
the difference?