> I cannot relate 'sidetone in the headset' with SSB operation.  In CW,
> there is a sidetone presented to the headphones or speaker which
> follows the keying, but there is nothing of that sort for SSB.
> The K3 does provide a means of monitoring the transmitted audio (but
> that is not a sidetone)

FWIW I'm a pilot and the transceivers we use in airplanes to communicate
with the ground all have audio sidetone that feeds back into the headset.
Your telephone has sidetone that feeds your voice back to the earpiece. In
both cases this feature is called "sidetone". See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidetone and
http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/SL30Nav_Comm_UserGuide.pdf (page 32).

Craig
NZ0R